Goal > raise $750,000 over the next three years.
Why we need this campaign and your support.
Every parish has its strengths. We have history, diversity and beautiful buildings, some over 100 years old. These are blessings – we have a past and a future to preserve.
Our parish today reflects changing demographics and in our neighborhood. We choose and need to support ourselves to maintain our parish community and leave a legacy for the future. 70% of current parish income comes from rentals of the school, hall, new church, convent and old church -- now renamed the the Nancy Salta Hall. Therefore, we are focusing on our buildings They are historic landmarks in our neighborhood community. They support our ministries. They provide income.
Once all renovations and enhancements are completed to the parish center and Nancy Salta Hall, our rental revenue will increase to allow for many more types of events: Weddings, Workshops, Concerts and Conferences. Suffice to say, the sooner we raise the funds, the sooner we can complete all renovations and begin expanding the rental uses of the Nancy Salta Hall
MOST IMPORTANTLY, these projects will allow us to continue and expand our own parish activities and outreach for the greater good.
Printed Pledge Cards are available in the church pews, the vestibule, and in the Parish Office. You can return them in the collection basket in the coming weeks. or mail them to the office.
- The pledge cards have a suggested giving amount table.
- You can give a one-time gift, or spread the gift over 1-3 years.
- You can pay your pledge by check or credit card, or consider a gift of stocks or other assets.
- We encourage yout to take an extra pledge card for anyone you know who would consider giving a campaign gift.
To date, we have already received:
- $122,500 in gifts, grants and pledges (half collected and half in pledges yet to be paid) for projects that are either completed or in process.
- $2,000 grant to help fund a ramp between Carvlin Hall and the Old Church from Dwyer Memorial Trust – a local foundation
- $4,000 in matching funds from generous parishioners. This will allow us to be ADA compliant and give wheelchair access to everyone.
- a grant from the Oregon Catholic Press for a sound system in the Nancy Salta Hall, which will be installed once renovations are completed.
Other ways for you to donate to this campaign are:
- Projects can be sponsored by you or your family in tribute or memory to a loved one. (One example is our stained glass window program.) Please contact the parish office for additional details.
- An estate planning luncheon seminar with be scheduled in the near future given by long-time parishioner Ed Ferraro. Please watch the parish bulletin and website for details.
Lastly, 25% of collected funds will be placed in savings for future needs.
We have completed these facility needs:
The Old Church:
- The exterior has been repaired and repainted.
- The upstairs windows have been replaced with thermopanes.
- New front doors have been ordered.
The Current Church:
- New front doors have been installed.
- The food pantry distribution facility has been upgraded to meet appropriate standards.
- Back deck, patio, fence, and other improvements have been completed.
- A bathroom has been upgraded.
- Flooring has been upgraded.
- Kitchen and appliances have been upgraded.
- The exterior of the school has been repaired and repainted.
- Outside trash enclosure improvements have been completed.
- Dying and dead trees have been removed and replaced, and all other trees were trimmed to meet City of Portland requirements.
Now we are entering the last stages of Phase 1 of the rehabilitation program shared above. With existing funds on hand we plan to:
The current church:
- Install new carpeting on that altar, aisles, and sacristy.
- Replace the existing stove.
- Upgrade the external fire escape.
- Make parking lot repairs including sealing, coating and striping.
- Complete security gates for the parking lot.
To continue with the Old Church/Nancy Salta Hall rehabilitation, an architectural firm has been retained to assist in the building permit process necessary for structural upgrades to the building.
Permits are required for several desired improvements to make the Nanct Salta Hall into a community gathering and event hosting site. These building permit applications have been submitted to the City of Portland and are expected to be reviewed shortly.
The desired upgrades requiring building permits include:
- Installation of a lift elevator to assist anyone unable to use the stairs as well as food delivery needed for the second floor.
- New men’s and women’s restrooms on the first floor
- New concrete front stairs and wheelchair ramp to enter the facility on SE 16th Street.
- Upgrades to the staff lounge on the first floor.
- Electrical upgrade to provide air conditioning on the second floor and power for the lift elevator.
Additional upgrades include:
- Restoration and repainting of the second floor and the front interior entrance.
- Recarpeting or reflooring of the second floor and front entrance.
Other ways you can help:
- Join a committee or ministry.
- We will be hosting a Ministry Sunday in the near future with tables in the back of the church staffed by ministry members who can explain what their ministries involve and how you can join in service to our parish.
- Tell others you know about this campaign and ask them to consider a gift.
- Pray for our success.
We will have monthly updates on our progress toward our goal in the bulletin and on the website. I am also available to meet in my office during the week or take your call to discuss this campaign further.
I want to reassure you - St. Philip Neri is here to stay!